Working with startups is the lifeblood of Sophi. In fact, we're a startup ourselves. We were founded in 2008 by a small startup called StudentsOnly (which later became Edhance). No, we're not a bunch of students working in a company, nor do we accept only interns! We started as a verifications company that made it possible for students to get awesome discounts online once they got verified that they're, well, currently enrolled students! Although we started operations in Dumaguete, Philippines, in 2008, we only started to work as a BPO in 2012. When we ventured into outsourcing, we literally had one client and seven agents. However, with lots of passion to help growing companies and hard work, we have grown into a thriving outsourcing center with over 100 agents and growing!
So, what have we learned as a startup company, and what are our takeaways from working with other fabulous starter uppers?
- Wearing multiple hats - When you're a struggling startup, you learn to do everything! This might probably mean doing something that's out of your comfort zone, or even outside of your job description! Nonetheless, being able to adapt to anything has made us better. We're never afraid to start challenging projects!
- Making work fun - We never take ourselves seriously. Our culture has always been built on the concept of working hard and having fun. We work hard to ensure our clients are happy, but we never forget to go crazy and silly at the office with theme work days (Halloween is always fun), relaxed office environment, and fun team buildings!
- Collaborating with teams - Our teams work closely with each other and with other cross-cultural groups. We encourage open communication and team work, building camaraderie among us and our clients!
- Learning every day - We always take feedback as a learning opportunity. We constantly have coaching sessions with agents and supervisors to improve processes and performance. In addition, we always seek feedback from our clients to provide better service.
- Communicating - We believe in transparency in our organization. Our employees are part of our success, and we make it a point to keep them in the loop at all times. Failures are communicated just as successes are broadcasted.
So, there you go. Embracing a startup culture means managing with transparency in a strong value-based culture while having fun. If you think those three things are what makes a company awesome, then you'll fit right in with Sophi.