Managing a startup is a big challenge. Human as we are, we commit mistakes in the process. Have you ever wondered what these common mistakes were, and how you can avoid them?
Here are eight essential tips you can follow to run your startup successfully:
- Proper training. For you to manage your team, be it in-house or offshore, it is imperative to invest time in proper training. Your ultimate goal is to prepare them to face any challenges or roadblocks as you build your business. Managing a business eats up most of your personal life. So, you might need to give your loved ones a heads up about the time commitment for you to train your staff successfully. Talking to them about what you’re going through really helps.
- Get your clients to come back. Forming a number of marketing strategies is essential in every startup. You need to find ways to help your business meet its goals. In addition, you have to explore strategies to make your clients come back for more. Take the time to get to know your market.
- Find help. If you can't do it, have someone else do it for you. That’s the whole purpose of outsourcing, right? You need experienced professionals to help you, so you can get work done effectively (and affordably). Nonetheless, in order for your business to run smooth, clear instructions, proper delegation of tasks, and training must always be done. After All, you’re not outsourcing certain aspects of your business only to end up micromanaging it! Trusting your team is much better than doing everything by yourself. Once that is done, you can finally focus on other important aspects of your startup, such as business development and marketing strategies (and perhaps, breathe).
- Learn from stats and trends. Estimating and guessing from experience is not enough. You need to step up and get insights from industry stats and market trends to succeed. Gather as much data as you can. Incorporate them in your strategic planning for future business growth.
- Spend wisely. This rule is essential to both work and life. As a startup, you need to take into consideration that problems may arise in the long run. Don’t spend too much on the wrong things, because something might come up that can cause your business to drop. If you can’t decide on it now, try sleeping on it. The next day, you would likely be able to make a wise decision on how to spend your capital.
- Have other options. Don’t just stick to one idea. This is one of the common mistakes first-timers definitely need to avoid. Gather several ideas first, discuss them with other people, and decide on what works best. A plan that goes from A to Z is a safe route to ensure you have something to fall back on.
- Money is not the answer. Most startups would quickly decide on spending a lot of money for their company in order to solve a problem. Let me tell you this: money doesn’t solve everything. Instead, sit on it and address the problem within your team. Fix it, then that’s the time you show the money.
- Think positive. There is not a point in life that we don’t fail. Everyone has experienced it. You may feel really bad at first, but don’t worry. You will learn from your mistakes as well as have enough time to stand up and redeem yourself. Apply that in your work, and channel your positivity towards your team.
Eight things. Not so hard after all, isn’t it? Proper determination and ambition are always our main objectives. Your startup will be as good as nothing if you don’t give your full dedication to it. You need to love it as your own.
Looking for more tips on startups, working with offshore teams, and outsourcing in the Philippines? Get more updates by following us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.